Pages

Friday, October 05, 2012

Avenue Q The Musical and Swimming with Sharks in Singapore

Avenue Q The Musical

Avenue Q holds a special place in my heart being the first Atlantis Prod show that I bought with friends. Check out my gratitude post here. When I heard that Atlantis Productions is bringing the show in Singapore for a short run, I was beyond excited. I managed to find a schedule, a Wednesday night, that works for both Em-J and I and off we went to the theatre.

IMG_6497
Only Rachel Alejandro from the original Manila cast was retained. I actually became a fan of hers when I saw her in this production, the way she was able to transition from one character to the next engaged in a cat fight is just amazing and I can say that she hasn't lost her touch.

The rest of the cast also transitioned from one character to the next seamlessly. I did miss Frenchie Dy as Christmas Eve but Anna Fegi was also good. Besting out Wicked for Best Musical, you can expect one great show and the all Filipino cast delivered. I felt proud to be Pinoy.

The play runs at the Marina Bay Sands Grand Theatre till Sunday, Oct. 7. Catch the show while its still playing and I assure you it's one of the best 2 hours you'll spend inside the theatre. We both left the theatre with a big smile on our faces.
IMG_6500

Now, can I just also voice out what the rest of the fans are saying, a Manila repeat next, please.

Tip: Try to sit as close to the stage as possible, it's better to see the facial expressions of the cast.


Avenue Q, Singapore
Marina Bay Sands Grand Theatre
Fri, 8PM / Sat & Sun, 2PM & 8PM



Swimming With Sharks

IMG_6507
I have been a fan of Pangdemonium since their first production and save for The Dealer's Choice, I have seen their every show so I wouldn't pass up the chance to watch Swimming With Sharks.

I haven't seen the movie so I read about the show a little and formed the conclusion that it's The Devil Wears Prada on stage with male characters. The similarity ends with the premise that a new hire is working for an evil boss. The play is much darker but still funny.

Clocking in at almost 3 hours (including the intermission), the actors' energy were boundless especially the two leads who were on stage 90% of the time. The material was tight and was never boring save for the first scene, though no fault of the show. I wanted it to immediately end as I was squirming in my seat because I can feel my tummy threatening to emit one of its "I'm hungry" loud, embarrassing gurgle. It was doubly hard because it was awfully quiet, there was no background sound being piped in and the Drama Centre is a bit cramped.

Adrian's talent has been proven many times over so it's no surprise that he delivers a strong performance, I am always amazed at how he falls into character with ease.

George Young is a major revelation. Being his first theatrical debut, his first few scenes seemed easy playing a timid newbie. But the second act required so much of him and he nailed it. I won't say what happens but I was on the edge of my seat. I am just amazed at how fast he transitions from looking like a train wreck to looking mighty fine in a manner of seconds.
IMG_6503

Swimming With Sharks also runs till this Sunday.

Tip: The stage is multi-level, so choose a balcony seat. Seated at row C, I had a hard time seeing the actors when they were on the 2nd level as a bar directly covers their faces. On the other hand, sitting up close, you might just get a glimpse of something extra as wardrobe malfunctions can't be avoided in live theatre.


Swimming With Sharks
Drama Centre Theatre, National Library
Fri, 8PM / Sat & Sun, 3PM & 8PM

It's great that the theatre scene is alive and well in Singapore so do yourself a favor and have a little fun this weekend. Watch Avenue Q The Musical or Swimming With Sharks or better yet, both!


Now, just to squeeze this in, if you're in Manila, NINE is on its closing weekend as well. Get your tickets now!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I almost forgot na ako ang nagbenta sayo ng Avenue Q before, hahaha! Yun pa man din ang last prod ko as office assistant sa Atlantis!

Carlo said...

Oo nga Hogs! Extra special tuloy tong show. :)

Anonymous said...

I am often to blogging and i really appreciate your content. The article has really peaks my interest. I am going to bookmark your site and keep checking for new information.

Site Stats