Pages

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Indonesian Food Festival

My friends all know how much I like Oakwood so when an opportunity came for me to try out their ongoing promotion, the Indonesian Food Festival at the Oakroom, it was too good to just pass up.

IMG_1240

They flew in Oakwood Jakarta's Executive Chef, Deden Suherman so this is a great chance for us Filipinos to try authentic Indonesian dishes without having to travel there.

IMG_1241

I sometimes wonder why their cuisine hasn't been embraced as much as their other Asian counterparts when their dishes are very similar to ours. Back in Singapore, the Indonesian food stall that opened up recently has been our daily lunch choice.

Admittedly, while Satay is probably their most well known dish, I am not a fan. Give me the peanut sauce but leave the satay behind. I had the Tahu Asi (Stuffed Tofu) for my appetizer. Being a tofu fan, I loved this.

IMG_1243

For the main course, I had the Rendang Daging (Beef Rendang) and as with any rendang the spice level had to be toned down a little. The beef was very tender and very flavorful. If my aunt was here, she would be very happy cause she would no longer be limited to preparing rendang out of a ready-made mix. I also particularly loved the baby potatoes, anything baby potatoes and I'm happy.

IMG_1244

We also had the Soto Ayam, it's chicken in clear broth. This is my friend's lunch staple back home and is very tasty and light.

IMG_1247

The Mie Goreng (Indonesian Fried Noodles) which is similar to pancit canton, sadly, I never got to try. I was too full and I had to leave room for dessert.

IMG_1246

For my sweet tooth, I had the Es Cendol (rice flour and jackfruit with coconut milk).

IMG_1251

I also had the chance to meet the Executive Chef who was very gracious and humble. A very big thank you to Oakwood for the wonderful dinner and an authentic Indonesian experience right here in Manila. Now it's time for me to hit the gym before heading to the beach.

IMG_1248

This special promotion is happening only until the 21st so do give it a try.

3 comments:

MrsLavendula said...

looks like a good promo!

docgelo said...

i've been fortunate to be invited at oakroom for several wine and food pairing events last year before heading to penang. wow, suddenly, your post brought back nice memories of oakroom.

the menu, of course looks so familiar.

Carlo said...

do visit the oakwood when you fly to manila. wonderful service.

Site Stats