Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Potion Bistro & Bar, Nostalgia Hotel

I was able to catch the tail end of Restaurant Week last weekend with Analyn and Em-J. I chose Potion for Saturday lunch because I was curious about it, I actually thought that the restaurant specializes on molecular gastronomy. I tried reading about it online but not much has been written about it so we didn't really know what to expect.

Potion is the in house restaurant of Nostalgia hotel in Tiong Bahru. I haven't been there so I was looking for a tall hotel. Analyn whipped out her phone to help us out, it turns out that we've already passed the place twice.

IMG_1250

Adding to our confusion, we saw that the restaurant is outdoors but the entire place is being hosed down. Chairs were all turned over and moved to the side, workers were all over, wet and dirty.

We decided to enter the hotel and we were asked by their gracious front desk staff if it's alright for us to have lunch inside instead. This is actually a blessing since it was too hot outside.

The place is a bit cramped, I felt that they can do with a couple less chairs but it really wasn't a problem since we were the only ones dining in at that time.

IMG_1255

IMG_1254

Here's the special menu:

IMG_1251

I ordered a lychee drink to cool me off a bit which was really refreshing.

IMG_1257

We started with potato soup which was good.

IMG_1259

Analyn had the chicken for her main dish while I had the salmon. The serving was pretty filling, not what I was expecting. I loved their mashed potato, I haven't been a fan but I nearly finished my heaping serving. The asparagus was also good. Sadly, the salmon was overcooked, a little burnt and dry but the sauce made up for it.

IMG_1261

Dessert was pear gelato which I was expecting to be served in a martini glass. When we were finally served with it, we were surprised and delighted. The effort in the preparation was not lost on us. The pear flavored and shaped ice cream was dipped in chocolate. It's center resembling the pit was a dark chocolate bonbon and the protruding stem, mint chocolate.

IMG_1262

IMG_1263

They sure know how to end a meal.

Restaurant Week special price: $25++, $4.50 for the drink.
All photos taken with my phone.

1 comment:

docgelo said...

wow, this is another feast!
and that's really pear-shaped, amazing!

Site Stats