Pages

Friday, February 12, 2010

Dimsum and Haato

A few Sundays ago, feeling bored and not really in the mood for the usual hawker fare available downstairs, Choy and I headed to Upper Thomson Road for lunch. Choices are aplenty with different restaurants and coffee shops lining the long stretch of this quite famous trail.

Choy was initially drawn to what could probably be home to the best Pratas here in Singapore, The Roti Prata House. Before finally deciding, we walked a bit more and eventually ended up in this dimsum house.

I have to say that this is the first authentic dimsum place that I've been to and I was excited to see a lot of different choices. Turo-turo style, you choose your dimsum and it gets delivered to you after being heated up a bit.  The heat inside was nearly unbearable so we sat by the roadside directly in front of their huge steamers. We ordered a few dimsum, siopao and a rice meal which were all good, not the best, but still good. If I have one complaint, it would have to be the rice. It was really dry and it would have helped if we had soup, however, since the sun was up and scorching, it was out of the question.




I really wanted to order some more since I wasn't able to try their roasted specialties and the custard that I was particularly interested in when we got there but I was already full. I'll have to come back next time.

We then headed to Thomson Plaza to do a little bit of grocery shopping when we chanced upon a small, modern ice cream place, Haato.

I know I am already full but upon gazing at the rows of gelato available, I just couldn't say no. They have among the most unusual flavors like Milk, Sweet Potato with Honey, Rum & Raisin which got me all the more curious. I sticked to a somewhat safe flavor, Black Sesame. The ice cream was bursting with flavor. It was creamy and very very flavorful! Definitely one of the best that I've had.


No comments:

Site Stats