Pages

Friday, July 16, 2010

Legally Blonde Manila

One of the main reasons why I travelled back to Manila is Legally Blonde. My friends and I block bought a show. We were all set but due to unforeseen circumstances, we were forced to back out the last minute. Since I already have tickets to Manila for said dates, I might as well watch the show.

This is what greets the audience upon entering the theater. I think as with most people, I also had apprehensions about the show. Also, after seeing their ASAP prod number, I didn't expect much anymore but I immediately knew after seeing the company in "Omigod You Guys" that I was in for a one enjoyable ride. Watching them, you can just feel their passion. 


Nikki Gil is a revelation. We all know that she sings well but it's an altogether different experience hearing her live. Her voice is clear and melodious. "Whipped Into Shape" which had Geneva Cruz as Brooke Wyndham skipping rope while singing is one of my favorite numbers. (Micah and I just couldn't picture Gretchen Barretto doing that). She looked the part and made everything look so easy. Felix River as Nikos Argitakos also stole the show, the "Gay and European" number was just too funny. Nyoy Volante, I have to agree with some of the reviews I've read just had no chemistry with Nikki Gil but he sings well. I hear Jencarps cringing whenever Nyoy enters the stage. I don't know what it is with her. She did gush quite loudly when Guji Lorenzana appeared and sang "Serious". Jinky Llamanzares as Paulette is my favorite though. I wish her "Ireland" number was a bit longer. 

The set was also quite crafty but seriously lacking in color. Everything looked pale, it is as if they used colored chalks instead of paint. I don't know if that's the way it was supposed to be but it looked a bit shabby. Also, the sound system in Meralco is bad. There were instances where you can't hear what the actors were saying.

Legally Blonde is running till Sunday so you can still get your tickets! 

No comments:

Site Stats