Pages

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Is the iPad just a bigger iPhone?



The iPad is probably most talked about topic in tech blogs today. It is sleek and portable; and after watching the video demo, I can't help but want one! The iBook store had me sold. I've always wanted a Kindle but it's not available here and I didn't want to order online since I won't be able to maximize its benefits.

Now that the excitement has somehow died down, I actually now have doubts. Do I really want one? See, I'm not really a MAC user. I know how some people profess their undying devotion over any Apple product (never mind if it's overpriced). I briefly considered jumping ship when I was looking for a new laptop but after trying out my friend's MacBook Pro, I still felt that I would have less compatibility issues with good old Windows.

I also had another dilemma when I was looking for a new phone. I considered the iPhone because I enjoyed Tap Tap Revenge but after seeing the many problems with it (Em-J's had his iPhone replaced due to some known issues, a friend also had her cable replaced thrice) and the potential problems that I may have with it seeing that I'm a bit clumsy, I decided to stick to my BlackBerry.

Now with the iPad, it is easy to get carried away as it really seems revolutionary...but is it really? I'm not the least bit technical so I'll comment on an end-user perspective. It does everything that an iPhone or an iPod touch does only with bigger screen and better resolution. I'm under the impression that before transferring files over, you have to sync it using iTunes which can be a hassle. Also, it doesn't have a usb port which is really useful if you're going to be using your device much like a laptop or a netbook. Likewise, similar to my beef with the iPhone, it doesn't multi-task. Seeing the many applications available, not being able to do this basic thing is a bit of a spoiler.

Then again, if all I'm after is an e-book reader, I shouldn't really be complaining as the iPad comes with heaps of extras.

For a blow by blow account of the launch, click here.

I know it has been getting some criticism because of what it's called and rightfully so. Check out the video below:

No comments:

Site Stats