Pages

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Spring Awakening

Last Sunday, Em-J and I headed to watch Pangdemonium's Spring Awakening. We were able to get Danny to come along with us, he's a theatre virgin and I wanted him to have the best time.

IMG_1205

There was a staging in Manila two years ago and it was with much regret that I wasn't able to watch it especially since I have a friend who was part of the cast. When Pangdemonium announced that they are staging it this year, I made sure not to miss it this time.

The icing on the cake is the casting of Julia Abueva. I've seen her perform in Children's Letters to God when she was just 11 and I was blown away! She is just pure talent.

The musical is a story that needs to be told and despite the mature themes, I believe that a lot of teens should go see it because they'd be able to relate to it and let them know that they are not alone in their journey. It tells the story of 11 teens, angsty and confused living in a repressed society. It does not matter that the story was written in 1892, it is as relevant now as it was before.

The cast were all very talented and I imagine how it must be difficult to sing those alternative rock songs and try to get the audience very involved but they all managed to do that. Special mentions to our favorites, Julia who gave me goosebumps while she was singing, the price of your ticket is worth it if only to see her perform. We also especially did love Nathan Hartono who was just charming, his transition from someone losing control over the situation around him was restrained but truthful. Lastly, Rebecca Spykerman, she is also one gifted performer, whenever she comes on stage and starts to sing, we can't help but focus just our attention to her.

I am glad that edgy, out of this box productions are being seen here in Singapore thanks largely to Pangdemonium's efforts. I read the letter from Tracie and Adrian on the program (which is free by the way) and while I do love traditional musicals, it's refreshing to see musicals that don't stick to the norm. I left the theatre very overwhelmed with emotions. I actually didn't want to leave yet, I wanted to just sit there for a little more while but I couldn't.

IMG_1206

Spring Awakening is already on it's last week so don't miss out! Get your tickets now while you still can. I guarantee you'll have the best time.

On another note, don't miss God of Carnage in Manila this coming July. I might be selling tickets to the July 17 show so contact me if you're interested. :) 

4 comments:

Hogi said...

Haha, oo nga no, sabay-sabay pa man din kami nila Tin and Hilary na manood ng Spring Awakening nung andun si Nar.

Speaking of Children's Letters To God, yun ang show namin ngayon ni Nar in Cebu and Dumaguete. Same director ni Julia Abueva yung direk namin. =)

Carlo said...

sayang no? magkakasama sana ang bffs. hehe.

ay kasama din pala si nar sa production nyo. ang saya naman, out of town kayo. i think same production company din yun kila julia eh, tama ba?

docgelo said...

i also dig musicals!

Hogi said...

Ay nope, ibang company yung kasama namin for this prod. Friend ko na based sa Cebu yung producer eh. I think kinuha yung same director para mas madali ang buhay kasi nagawa na niya yung show before. =)

Site Stats