Pages

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

High School Musical

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

We watched the last show of the 2-weekend run of High School Musical. This was the same show that our group was interested in getting but plans didn't push through. I met with Hogi and Zshali at Megamall around lunch time but instead of having lunch, we decided to stay at Starbucks to catch up on each other's lives...um, let me rephrase that...to catch up on Zshali's life.

Zshali didn't have the slightest intention of watching the musical but having travelled all the way from Laguna, she decided to join me and my sister. Hogi, on the other hand, decided to stay at the tech booth after having seen the musical twice.

I am a big theater fan. Most of the time, I overlook a show's shortcomings that way I always enjoy what I watch. The same goes true for High School Musical since I am taking into consideration the fact that I am not the target audience of the show but I do have several noted areas of improvement. Before that, I have to say though that I love Karel and the effort that the cast put into the production. I also loved the call back scene and the finale.

Brimming with actors, the stage was chaotic. Most of the time, you have to search for the actor speaking or singing in the crowd. Also as Zee pointed out, they could have done more with the set design. It was boring. Ditto with the choreography, I believe the high school musical production number at ASAP was better. I think part of the reason was the fact that they barely have room to move in the stage, much more dance. The lights were also distracting, there were instances that you feel as if you're clubbing instead of watching a show especially during the last few scenes of the second act.

There, most enjoyable for me was watching the enthusiastic kids responding to the cast especially during the audition scenes. I just hope that they get a better venue for the rerun.

No comments:

Site Stats