Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

Watching Closer at the DBS Arts Centre

The first Wednesday of this month, I went to DBS Arts Centre to watch Pangdemonium's second production, Closer. It was a huge leap from their first very successful production, The Full Monty.


To be honest, I actually enjoyed the movie more but this is not to say that I didn't like the production. I just read a lot of good reviews about the production so I had such high hopes. I felt that some of the performances were lacking in intensity and the British accent here and there was a bit distracting.

I did love the set and how they tried to interact with the stagehands during one particular set change. I also liked the restaurant scene where the past and the present were almost simultaneously on going and lastly the scene where Dan and Larry were chatting was hilarious.

It was also quite interesting how they tried to skirt around the smoking ban in performances given that the play has a lot of scenes where smoking is integral.

Overall, it was worth it. I'm glad that Pangdemonium is being very gutsy and is opening doors to allow the theatre goers here to experience something daring and different.

On another note, it was my first time to watch a performance at the DBS Arts Centre and I'm surprised at how small it is, the seats are very cramped and we all actually had to stand and wait at the aisles just to let the people in the middle seats through.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sana masamahan mo akong pumunta dyan when I go to SG so I can watch some shows there as well ...

Site Stats