Pages

Friday, February 02, 2007

The Glass Menagerie

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I finally got a chance to catch Tanghalang Ateneo's staging of "The Glass Menagerie" tonight. When I first heard of it, I originally intended to catch the Feb 3 (Saturday) performance because I reckoned that I will no longer be busy with Zsazsa Zaturnnah. As it turns out, Zsahli received complimentary tickets courtesy of Arnold Reyes to tonight's performance and generously shared it with me. As Zsahli puts it, sino ba naman ang tatanggi sa grasya?

I hurried to meet Zshali at Quezon Avenue since we both don't know how to get to the theater. We arrived fairly early and I was surprised that the crowd was mostly made up of students. I know I shouldn't be since it's being staged at Ateneo but I half expected the patrons to be a little bit older.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

As one can expect from the title alone, the dialogues are laden with metaphors and listening to it uttered with conviction sweeps one to an entirely different world. (Never mind if I had a difficult time trying to decipher what the deeper meaning is at times). I enjoyed the play and I was awed by Laurice's performance and I'm not saying it just because everybody knows and expects that she's great. Her presence was commanding and as Amanda Wingfield, I can't help but feel for her in spite of her controlling manner.

Arnold Reyes was also a revelation since both Zsahli and I already pictured him with Dodong in mind. You immediately fall for his character, here's a gentleman caller who's funny and takes a genuine interest in crippling and shy Laura until you realize that he's a sugar-coated insensitive prick that finally breaks the already fragile household.

Do catch the show while you still can. Again, thanks Zshali and Arnold!

No comments:

Site Stats