Pages

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Shaw Theatres Premiere


Yesterday, omy invited several bloggers to experience Shaw's Premiere theatre at Nex before it officially opens to the public. I was psyched because one, it's my first blogger's event and two, I love watching movies and it's not just any theatre, it's a Premiere theatre.

So what makes a Premiere theatre different from just your regular theatres? I'm pretty sure most of you here in Singapore are familiar with GV's Gold Class, well, this is Shaw's answer to that. Em-J has been bugging us to try it so it makes perfect sense for me to invite him when I found out that we can bring a friend along.


The Premiere experience actually starts from the moment you queue for your tickets because they have a special dedicated counter so you can avoid the hassle of waiting. (For the event, we didn't have to use this special queue since we got our tickets from Alvin of omy).


Their tickets also look a bit more special.


We then headed up to the theatre's actual entrance. I was a bit surprised cause it's like a restaurant entrance complete with a menu by the door.


We were warmly greeted by their staff and led to one of the comfortable chairs in the lounge. Let me just say that I love that they have a special lounge because there are hardly any good waiting areas in most theatres. (I favored Cineleisure before because they also have a lounge but it was already closed when I last went there.)




Food is also reasonably priced. I was half expecting that the price of popcorn and drinks to be off the roof but they're not. A big bowl of popcorn is $6 and a can of soda is $3.50.


I liked how they take your orders. What can I say, I'm easily impressed by technology, however dated.



Em-J decided on the fried dory while I chose the truffle fries.


The best news is that the food is actually good. The fried dory was not greasy at all and the fries is quite tasty. Em-J and I gobbled it all up in no time. We'd actually go back and watch a movie here if only to have the fries again.

The theatre itself sits roughly around just 50 people so it is quite intimate. The seats are quite far apart from each other and the considerable distance between the seats means that you don't have to worry about reclining your seat all the way and bothering the person behind you. Seating is raked so you don't have to worry about looking at the head of the person in front of you.



I also love how comfortable the seats are and the reclining buttons worked seamlessly. There's also a table for you to enjoy your food with an on-call button that works like a charm. Assistance is there when you need it without bothering the other patrons. The best part of it all, the blanket! I left my jacket and was worried about feeling cold but this little gesture sold it for me. I will be back for sure.




I do have the following notes so you can totally enjoy your Premiere experience:

1. Settle your bill before the movie starts so you don't get bothered mid-way through. We were approached with the bill during one of the film's dramatic moments and I had to look for my wallet in my big bag in the dark.

2. Avoid seating way up front. We were unfortunately seated there and I find that it's still a bit too near, even with the seats reclined, it still take some time before you get used to it and start enjoying the movie.

Ticket prices are also reasonable, off-peak price is $20, peak price at $25. (off-peak days are Monday - Thursday, except for opening titles). Premiere 3D prices at $25 for off peak and $30 for peak.

Just for comparison GV Gold Class tickets are about $28 during off-peak and $36 during peak periods. I can't really say what GV offers since I have yet to watch a movie there.

Book your tickets or read more about the theatre here

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so delighted that you enjoyed another movie experience.
I can imagine the big smile on your face.
Hope to see that smile again.

As my trip to SG draws closer, I am hoping that are paths will cross again ...

Be happy always Carlo!

Hogi said...

Cool! Reminds me of yung cinema sa Eastwood mall. Nung dinala naman namin dun yung cousins namin from the US, sabi nila na merong similar movie theater sa kanila, that also serves dinner plus wine yata, which is somewhat similar to Premiere theater, I guess.

Carlo said...

Hogs, meron din pala sa Manila. Ok ba yung price?

Hogi said...

Yung sa Eastwood Cinema, I believe they just have the recliners as seats, tapos unlimited drinks and popcorn. The ones that my cousins described ay sa US pa eh.

Site Stats